BRyanton's D&D Forum

Our new play as you go D&D forum.


    A Fork in the Road

    Share
    avatar
    Quarok DM
    Admin

    Posts : 74
    Join date : 2012-01-31
    Age : 32

    A Fork in the Road

    Post  Quarok DM on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:56 am

    The town of Holtburg rests quite comfortably along the River Prosper's muddy banks. It is a welcome rest stop for travelers and merchants making their way from the sparse settlements of the eastern Tiofor Woods and at the foothills of Mt. Esper to the prosperous trading town of Glenden Wood. The architecture has a very simple elegance to it and has much old world charm with it's dark woods and exposed plaster. The tavern is by far the biggest building in town as it is also the inn, and sits atop the highest hill in Holtburg. This is where travelers can get a bite to eat and a bed, so at all times of day or night, there are stories to tell and ale to drink. The town smithy's shop is just down the hill and smells richly of smoke and sweat. Across the road from the smithy is the general store where travelers unload some of their cargo for some spare coin to spend on ale in the tavern, or where they resupply if they plan to cross the Alphus Mountain Range on their way to Zaikhal on the border of the Gharu'ndim Desert. The farms are simple but bountiful due to the rich soil between the Toifor Woods and the River Prosper, and provide food for the fifty or so permanent residents of the town. The town guard seems to be ever present between the northern border of the town and the start of the forest as if they were anticipating an attack from that direction, or had just suffered one.
    avatar
    Brenton
    Admin

    Posts : 19
    Join date : 2012-01-31

    Re: A Fork in the Road

    Post  Brenton on Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:03 pm

    Jasper Windsong rests his eyes on the town of Holtburg for the first time and stops to admire his situation. A beautiful, well-groomed young man of just 22, Jasper has an air of confidence about him that would overshadow a nobleman. His chiseled features make him irresistible to the ladies, but they must keep his attention, as his curiosity tends to keep his head elsewhere. Having just graduated the Bards College, Jasper has chosen Holtburg to begin his epic. Though he has all the skills and etiquette he needs, he has never put any of this to practice and is eager (maybe too much so) to begin his life as a bard. With a mandolin on his back and journal in hand, Jasper enters the town, humming a tune while writing lyrics into his book.

    "Met I a young maiden so fair
    My table I offered to share
    Such a beautiful thing, I started to sing
    With my usual song, dance and flair
    By the end there were tears, free beers and good cheers
    And she asked to come spend the night
    I said 'My what creature so pretty'
    And at that she showed me her kitty
    I was hard as a rock, then she sat on my ---ah! The local Tavern! What a marvelous structure. My epic begins here!" I scream as I enter the tavern with great energy.


    _________________
    Jasper Windsong
    Human
    Level 1 Bard
    Chaotic Neutral
    AC: 15 Touch: 12 Flat Footed: 13
    avatar
    Quarok DM
    Admin

    Posts : 74
    Join date : 2012-01-31
    Age : 32

    Re: A Fork in the Road

    Post  Quarok DM on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:32 pm

    Jasper-
    When you walk into the tavern, you see a circular bar area surrounded on all sides immediately by bar stools, then followed by small circular tables. There are about two dozen patrons in various stages of inebriation, and two very pretty, though rather young looking, serving girls waiting on the tables. The bartender tips his at at you and waves his hand to welcome you over to the bar. He pours a measure of very dark ale into a clay tankard, slides it your way and says,
    "the first one is always on the house. Let me know if I can help you with anything."
    ---------
    take 100xp for the song
    avatar
    Brenton
    Admin

    Posts : 19
    Join date : 2012-01-31

    Re: A Fork in the Road

    Post  Brenton on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:52 pm

    I accept the ale.
    "Thank you, you extraordinary gentleman! You have not heard of me yet, but today that will change! I am Jasper by name and a Bard by trade, and I come seeking a tale of intrigue to begin my first epic. Tell me good sir, what whispers fall upon your ears?"

    I take out my journal and look to him excitedly.


    _________________
    Jasper Windsong
    Human
    Level 1 Bard
    Chaotic Neutral
    AC: 15 Touch: 12 Flat Footed: 13
    avatar
    Quarok DM
    Admin

    Posts : 74
    Join date : 2012-01-31
    Age : 32

    Re: A Fork in the Road

    Post  Quarok DM on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:05 pm

    Jasper-
    The barkeep looks doubtfully from your eyes to the notebook a few times, then shrugs.
    "My name is Wilomine, and I been around these parts to know when somethin' is amiss. Most people say 'tis nothing to get upset about, but there 'ave been several goblin raidin' parties from the north woods of late. 'Tis nothin' big they been stealing, only a few sheep and pigs here an' there. But anything gone missing to those low creatures is too much for my likin'"
    He pauses for a second, looks at your tankard and continues,
    "Speakin' of likin'... how you be likin' me ale?"
    avatar
    Brenton
    Admin

    Posts : 19
    Join date : 2012-01-31

    Re: A Fork in the Road

    Post  Brenton on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:09 pm

    "The ale? Sir, (bluffing) this is the best ale to have ever grace my lips! I shall write this ale a song of its own! The world deserves to hear of this magical drink. But first, these goblins sound troublesome and will be the perfect setting for the beginning of my epic! I think I'll stay here the night. If the town hires any brave souls to dispatch the goblins, please let me know. I must see this clash of good versus evil. It shall be told again and again for the rest of time!"

    I begin scribbling in my journal feverishly, speaking aloud as I write.

    "A town in peril. The populace devastated! The town of Holtburg is at risk of destruction by the vast goblin hordes in the north. Who will answer the prayers of the cowering townsfolk in a village the Gods have clearly abandoned?"


    Last edited by Brenton on Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total


    _________________
    Jasper Windsong
    Human
    Level 1 Bard
    Chaotic Neutral
    AC: 15 Touch: 12 Flat Footed: 13
    avatar
    Quarok DM
    Admin

    Posts : 74
    Join date : 2012-01-31
    Age : 32

    Re: A Fork in the Road

    Post  Quarok DM on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:55 pm

    As the sun begins to set over the River Prosper, a light veil of rain sweeps in from the south. The air is still warm, and smells of rich earth, roasting meat, and the low, bitter smell of old beer. The town guards make their rounds, lighting the lanterns around the perimeter of the town center. In the distance, several farm house windows begin to glow softly as their inhabitants light the night's candles. From the forest north of town, you can hear the lonely cry of a wolf and the silence that answers him. Several families come up to the tavern from their homes to partake in the tavern's locally acclaimed roasted venison.
    avatar
    cadoc

    Posts : 17
    Join date : 2012-02-02

    Re: A Fork in the Road

    Post  cadoc on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:35 am

    As night falls, Holtberg is approached by a very small and shady looking character. Gejjen is about 2.5 feet tall wearing tattered brown robes and raggedy, beat up leathers. Upon entering the town, he stands at the entrance with his arms akimbo and smiles devilishly as he thinks to himself "Ah another town fulla suckers just waitin ta be relieved a their gold."
    He then makes his way to the tavern.
    avatar
    Quarok DM
    Admin

    Posts : 74
    Join date : 2012-01-31
    Age : 32

    Re: A Fork in the Road

    Post  Quarok DM on Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:27 am

    The town guards are all quietly making their rounds around the town center, listening to the sporadic laughter from the tavern and casting their eyes warily at the darkness in the forest. The last couple of locals stagger out of the tavern, spilling light and music into the night after them.
    avatar
    Quarok DM
    Admin

    Posts : 74
    Join date : 2012-01-31
    Age : 32

    Re: A Fork in the Road

    Post  Quarok DM on Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:51 pm

    Gejjin-
    When you walk into the tavern, you see the circular bar setup and a few drunken patrons sitting at their tables talking animatedly about one thing or another of no consequence. One of the young, pretty serving girls comes over to you, bends down and says,
    "Hey there, little guy. Did you lose your mommy?"
    She then stands up as she reaches for your hand and calls to the barkeep,
    "Dad, I think someone left their kid."
    Wilomine responds,
    "Again? I swear these town'folk get more and more careless every day. I swear they won't start payin' attention til one of their kin gets dragged off to a goblin den. Fine, fine... give him some juice and some bread and sit him at a table where we all can watch til his folks come back for 'em."
    avatar
    Quarok DM
    Admin

    Posts : 74
    Join date : 2012-01-31
    Age : 32

    Re: A Fork in the Road

    Post  Quarok DM on Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:35 pm

    Jasper-
    Wilomine asks you,
    "Can I be gettin' you another drink, good sir? As for staying here the night, you'll be wantin' to talk to me misses about that. She's the one over there at the desk by the stairs."
    He points at a circular desk flanking a narrow curved staircase that leads up beyond your line of sight. The woman is easily in her late forties, and despite the way life in a tavern has aged her, you get the sense that she was once powerfully beautiful. She still moves with innate grace as she shuffles papers from one side of the desk to the other and organizes small piles of gold and silver in the till against the far wall.
    avatar
    cadoc

    Posts : 17
    Join date : 2012-02-02

    Re: A Fork in the Road

    Post  cadoc on Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:38 pm

    I take her hand in mine
    "will you help me find my mommy?" *sobbing*
    avatar
    Brenton
    Admin

    Posts : 19
    Join date : 2012-01-31

    Re: A Fork in the Road

    Post  Brenton on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:01 pm

    "Another drink?" I flinch. "Good sir, it would be indecent of me to allow such a wondrous liquid to pass through me without being of proper composure to enjoy it. Another time perhaps."

    I move from the bar over to the woman at the desk. I put on my most gorgeous smile and strike a pose.

    "Fairest madam, I have chosen this locale to begin the most important of written works. I wish to stay here a while to fully immerse myself in your most hospitable town. Perhaps we could strike a deal. In trade for a room, I would be willing to entertain your patrons for the evening. What say you?"


    Last edited by Brenton on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total


    _________________
    Jasper Windsong
    Human
    Level 1 Bard
    Chaotic Neutral
    AC: 15 Touch: 12 Flat Footed: 13
    avatar
    Porkchops

    Posts : 10
    Join date : 2012-02-02

    Re: A Fork in the Road

    Post  Porkchops on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:28 pm

    Skipping into town humming a song is an elfish woman. She stands roughly 5 feet tall, her blonde hair flows behind her as she skips. She stops at a garden and bends down. "Ohhhh, pretty flowers," she says before standing up returning to her path.

    She heads toward the most well lit building. Stopping about ten feet from the building she proclaims "Inwë has arrived to ummmm... this town!"

    As she heads inside the tavern she trips over the threshold falling flat on her face.
    avatar
    Quarok DM
    Admin

    Posts : 74
    Join date : 2012-01-31
    Age : 32

    Re: A Fork in the Road

    Post  Quarok DM on Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:39 pm

    Gejjin-
    the younger of the two girls takes your hand and leads you over to the table closest to the inn check in counter. She skips back towards the bar and returns a second later with a small glass of apple juice and a cookie on which she draws a little heart. She gives you a quick hug and says,
    "I will be right over here, cutie. Just call for me if you need anything. My name is Sarah"
    ----------
    take 100xp
    avatar
    cadoc

    Posts : 17
    Join date : 2012-02-02

    Re: A Fork in the Road

    Post  cadoc on Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:54 pm

    "Thank you Sarah. You're really nice."
    As I give her a hug my nimble fingers run lightly over her body in an effort to find and acquire her coin purse.*sleight of hand roll = 26*
    avatar
    Quarok DM
    Admin

    Posts : 74
    Join date : 2012-01-31
    Age : 32

    Re: A Fork in the Road

    Post  Quarok DM on Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:16 pm

    inwe-
    the older of the two serving girls runs over to you and helps you to your feet. She helps you brush off the dust from your clothes, but when she looks at your face, her jaw drops.
    "an elf? Oh my stars!"
    she turns to the barkeep,
    "Daddy! Daddy! I caught an elf. Can I keep her?"
    avatar
    Quarok DM
    Admin

    Posts : 74
    Join date : 2012-01-31
    Age : 32

    Re: A Fork in the Road

    Post  Quarok DM on Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:22 pm

    Gejjin-
    you manage to slip the coin purse containing her night's tips from her belt and conceal it in your sleeve. You find 200 silver in the bag.
    ---------
    take 50xp
    avatar
    Porkchops

    Posts : 10
    Join date : 2012-02-02

    Re: A Fork in the Road

    Post  Porkchops on Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:17 pm

    "Elf? What elf? Oh you mean me? I guess the pointy ears gave that away. You humans have funny ears. At least not what I am used to. I saw a dwarf once. He was all short and hairy. I tend to ramble when I'm nervous... Hi!"
    avatar
    michaelb

    Posts : 12
    Join date : 2012-02-02

    Re: A Fork in the Road

    Post  michaelb on Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:34 pm

    Kogan had seen the inn on the hill from a distance and was drawn to it by the comforting thought of rest. He was glad to see it was the crown of such a small, peaceful town, and entered Holtburg with a serene look that on a man would have inspired confidence and ease. On a half-orc such as himself, its unusual nature often inspired humans to speculation and even worry. He was tall among men, and wore the loose-fitting clothing of a monk, the folds hiding the signs of any possessions he might be carrying.

    He reaches the entranceway and pauses, waiting for a swelling of noise from the tavern inside, then quietly enters and moves to stand against the wall, surveying the scene.
    avatar
    cadoc

    Posts : 17
    Join date : 2012-02-02

    Re: A Fork in the Road

    Post  cadoc on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:21 pm

    I take a bite of my cookie and look around the room to see if anyone's eyes are on me so I can slip away and hide.


    Last edited by cadoc on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
    avatar
    Quarok DM
    Admin

    Posts : 74
    Join date : 2012-01-31
    Age : 32

    Re: A Fork in the Road

    Post  Quarok DM on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:49 pm

    Inwe-
    The serving girls eyes shine brightly as she looks you over, taking in all of your elven features. She seems to catch herself staring, and shakes her head to clear it.
    "Right this way, elfy. Can I call you elfy? We have tables over here, but don't sit next to that man, he likes to pinch the girls when they aren't looking."
    She leads you over to an empty table near the wall away from the larger part of the crowd.
    "Anything I can get for you, elfy?
    ----------
    take 50 xp
    avatar
    Porkchops

    Posts : 10
    Join date : 2012-02-02

    Re: A Fork in the Road

    Post  Porkchops on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:55 pm

    "What is that thing? It's huge!!!" pointing toward Kogan.
    Turning back to the serving girl she asks "Do you have any wine? Not that much though."
    She starts to whisper as she continues while sitting down at the table "I'm a bit of a lightweight"
    avatar
    Quarok DM
    Admin

    Posts : 74
    Join date : 2012-01-31
    Age : 32

    Re: A Fork in the Road

    Post  Quarok DM on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:09 am

    Jasper-
    The woman at the counter stops working at the sound of your voice and looks up. Her eyes shoot wide and she does a double take when she sees your face.
    "Well well well, what do we have here? It isn't very often that we get people of beauty in this town, at least not ones that stick around for any length of time."
    A smile spreads across her face, seeming to erase twenty years from her and making her once legendary beauty spring to life again.
    "We get all sorts that try to get out of paying for their rooms, though most try to do it after. If you were to sing for your dinner in a manner of speaking, I would need a little private show just to see if it is worth the cost of the room"
    avatar
    Brenton
    Admin

    Posts : 19
    Join date : 2012-01-31

    Re: A Fork in the Road

    Post  Brenton on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:36 am

    "An audition! I accept your offer with much thanks! I am honored that you request my time. Make yourself comfortable fairest lady and I will give you a performance you'll never forget!"

    I give her a wink, move a little bit closer and pull out my mandolin.

    "A song"

    Perform Roll: 27

    "Fairest lady, good and wise
    Please do well and protect your eyes
    For what you will see I must now decree
    Will render you in great awe

    Feel my words in your soul
    Hear my song in your heart
    Let yourself lose control
    Your worries here will soon depart

    If you believe in me
    Please give me the key
    So I can rest my head
    If you do this for me
    Forever you shall be
    Welcome in my bed"

    I sheath my mandolin

    "And how did I do fair lady?"


    _________________
    Jasper Windsong
    Human
    Level 1 Bard
    Chaotic Neutral
    AC: 15 Touch: 12 Flat Footed: 13

    Sponsored content

    Re: A Fork in the Road

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:05 pm